This post contains affiliate links. If you were to make a purchase through one, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
It’s a delight to receive a gift that has been specially wrapped by the giver. A tailored bow is a perfect finishing touch. Instead of slapping on a store-bought bow, upgrade your package with this beautiful handmade ribbon bow.
It is very easy and only takes a few minutes to make. I promise!
If you want to show off your ribbon bow-making skills, read on for the complete step-by-step tutorial on how to make a layered tailored bow. All you need is some ribbon, double-sided tape and a pair of scissors.
Wrap your present before adding your bow. Click through to read how to perfectly wrap a gift. Also, check out the ultimate list of gift wrapping tips. When you’re done, come back here, and let’s make some bows.
Even though it is super simple and everyone can make this ribbon bow, it looks very impressive and as good as the professionals.
Ribbon Bow Making Tips
Let me first share a few quick bow-making tips to give you a head start.
- Learn how to make a bow and practice your bow-tying. The bow is the first thing people see, so don’t treat it as an afterthought. A basic gift wrap bow is simple and quick to make, so don’t skip.
- You can fix a wrinkled ribbon, by taking it through a slightly warm curling iron. Test on a little piece first.
- Cut your fabric ribbon ends at an angle to prevent fraying. Fold the ribbon vertically and snip the tip downward. This makes a tiny “v” and gives your bow a professional look. You can also use something like a liquid anti-fray on the edges.
- Use what you have. All sorts of pretty supplies from your sewing box can be used to make and decorate your bows. Look for things like leftover pieces of ribbon, string, rickrack, rhinestones, beads, and buttons.
How to make a Flat Layered Ribbon Bow
You can easily turn this layered ribbon bow in a flat bow by pressing it down at the end.
A flat tailored bow is simple to make and perfect if you are looking for an elegant way to decorate your gift. This is an ideal bow to use as a finishing touch on presents that will be mailed.
- A wrapped gift
- Double-sided tape
- Embellishments (optional)
- Cut three pieces of ribbon. The ribbon in this tutorial is cut into 6-inch, 8-inch, and 10-inch pieces. You can vary the sizes to fit the size of your package. Just make sure to cut each piece about two inches longer than the previous one.
- Lay the two longest ribbons facedown. Adhere a piece of double-sided tape to the center of both ribbons, Fold the ends to the center and press on to the tape to form two loops.
Tape the ends of the smallest piece of ribbon together to form one loop.
- Stack the two larger looped ribbons on top of each other, longest on the bottom. Use some double sided tape in the middle to attach them together.
- Take the smallest, one loop piece of ribbon and with some sticky tape, place it in the center of the top ribbon.
- Thread a long piece of your ribbon through the center loop and wrap it around the package, securing it at the back or bottom using tape.
- Flatten loops or lift loops up and toward center to make a stand-up bow. Add small decorations from your gift wrap supplies and attach to bow or package.
You can easily make this bow with even more layers, just cut more pieces of ribbon in different sizes to form the looped ribbons with. Stack them all, largest to smallest.
Looking for more unique and creative gift wrapping ideas?
A ribbon bow can go on almost any package! Check out some of these other gift wrapping favorites:
- How about a DIY paper nutcracker gift wrap? Perfect if you need to wrap a cylinder-shaped present.
- Or a cute honeycomb snowman gift wrap.
- If you have some felt and more ribbons, make a pretty felt and ribbon ornament gift wrap. Just follow the easy steps described.
- Brown paper bags are great for small items. Use a white marker to turn them into gingerbread house gift bags to make them more special!
- Another creative gift wrapping idea: Decorate your gifts with Paper Christmas Ornaments.