This post contains affiliate links. If you were to make a purchase through one, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
Make a DIY tinsel garland Christmas tree. This homemade Christmas tree craft features mini pom-poms and shiny tinsel, perfect for your holiday decor!
With just a foam cone, tinsel garland, colorful mini pompoms, and a bunch of needles you can make your own tinsel tree!
This Christmas tree is super easy to make and takes up very little time. Even better, it is fun to make for both older kids and adults.
Adult supervision is advised. Older kids can help to make these tinsel trees if you trust them to be able to carefully handle sharp needles. Have a parent or other adult around to guide the kids working with the needles.
Tinsel garland Christmas Tree Craft Tips
Now that we got the adult supervision out of the way, or in place (be careful with the needles), here are a few crafty tips to get you started.
- Give your kids an assortment of mini pom-poms, buttons, and sequins to decorate their tree with. Have them decorate the tree however they like!
- In this project, I use hot glue to secure the garland’s beginning and end to the foam cone.
I have, however, made these trees before using a piece of double sided tape on the ends and wrapped the garland over itself so it was secure. Use whatever you have on hand.
- Check out your local dollar store or thrift store for inexpensive tinsel garland. Stock up after the holidays on your favorite colors to match your decor.
Gold, silver, or white tinsel are good to get. Soft pastels would be nice, or follow the tutorial and go traditional with a green tinsel garland. There is tinsel garland with wire inside that makes crafting even easier.
- In the photos I’m using 6 inch Styrofoam cones. The perfect size for my finished Christmas trees to go on the mantle this holiday season!
These DIY trees would also look fantastic made with larger size foam cones.
- Gather your materials.
- Add a dab of hot glue to the top of the foam cone and carefully press in garland.
Hold in place for a few seconds. Wrap over the end of your garland to secure and hide.
- Continue wrapping the garland around the foam cone.
Adjust tinsel where needed, making sure none of the styrofoam shows through.
Once the cone is completely covered, trim the end of the garland and glue it down. Let dry.
- Take a pom pom and a needle in contrasting colors. Carefully stick the needle through the pom pom and into the tree.
Fill the tree by randomly pinning pom poms.
- Finish your tree with a piece of ribbon tied in a bow. Secure bow on top of the tree with a needle.
check out these other easy Christmas craft ideas
Looking for more easy and creative Christmas craft ideas? While you’re here, make sure to check out some of these other popular DIY’s.